Did you know that 80% of all roof systems fail at their halfway point of life expectancy due to lack of roof maintenance?
The sun and homeowner neglect are the two biggest reasons roofs fail prematurely. Material warranties only cover manufacturer failures and some cover workmanship errors, but no warranty covers sun damage or homeowner neglect. Likewise, Insurance companies only cover storm related damages.
In our 41 years of experience, we have never seen manufacturers or insurance companies pay for roof damages caused by the sun or lack of maintenance.
Just like your car needs routine tune-ups, so does your roof. The National Roofing Contractors Association and most Shingle Manufacturers recommend a bi-annual tune up but we recommend a minimum annual inspection and anytime after a major storm event. Statistics show the number one cause of roof replacement is not caused by storm damages but by SUN damages and Homeowner neglect.
GET MORE OUT OF YOUR BIGGEST INVESTMENT!
Not only does MasterBuilt Roofing offer the best built roofing systems that help to weatherize your roof, but we also offer low cost maintenance packages.
The 9 Most Common issues caused by Sun Damage and Homeowner Neglect
- Clogged gutters. Clogged gutters cause roof leaks. When water cannot drain properly it backs up underneath the first starter row of shingles and gets into the soffit or sometimes into the building. MasterBuilt can install these low costs stainless steel gutter guards now or at the time of your next re-roof. Cost is $5 per LF of gutters.
- Heat Damage to PVC pipe boots. Neoprene pipe boots tend to deteriorate and crack from exposure to the sun around the 5 – 7 year mark. All it takes is a small hairline crack for water to get inside your home. MasterBuilt can install these now or at the time of your next re-roof. Cost is $75 each if you want them now or FREE at the time of your next re-roof.
- Corrosion to Galvanized Metal Pipes & Other Vents. After several years your vents may become brittle from exposure to the sun and crack just enough for water to get inside. MasterBuilt Roofing uses a special primer and paint on all metal flashings, so that they will last as long as the roof does. MasterBuilt can re-paint your metal vents using special paint/primer now for a $100 trip charge plus $5/ each component or FREE at the time of your next re-roof.
- Nail Pops. Buildings often shift just enough to cause nails to pop through to the shingles. This will allow water to find its way inside the attic and eventually into the building. Most roofers don’t pay attention to the type of nails they use and often use the cheaper “smooth” coil nails. MasterBuilt only uses “ring shank” nails to help eliminate “nail pops”. This can only be done on your next re-roof and is already included in our cost.
- Valley Leaks. The valley sections are where two slopes join together. Roofers use valley metal, Ice & Watershield or both underneath the shingles in these high leak areas. However the seal can break over time. MasterBuilt uses Geocel roof sealant (a very powerful sealant) under the cut line to reinforce the bond. MasterBuilt can re-seal these for you now (See Maintenance Pricing below) or FREE at the time of your next re-roof.
- Roof-To-Wall & Chimney areas. Many times roofs can leak in these areas du- to due to deterioration of the walls themselves. Stone, stucco, bricks and wood cracks or rots over time. MasterBuilt can repair these for you now or at the time of your next re-roof. Cost can only be given after an onsite inspection.
- Leaves and other debris. Leaves on the roof are one of the most common causes of roof leaks on asphalt shingles! They prevent water from shedding off the roof as intended. MasterBuilt can handle this for you now. (See Maintenance Pricing below.)
- Repair Animal holes. In areas where there are a lot of trees, animals such as squirrels, opossums, raccoons and rats can claw their way into the attic. MasterBuilt can repair any holes for you now or at the time of your next re-roof. Cost can only be given after an onsite inspection.
- Ice Damming. Although this is not very common in Texas, it does happen and when it happens, like it did in February of 2021, you’re in for trouble unless you prepare. Ice damming occurs when your roof forms ice and traps snow behind it. The heat from inside your home melts the snow behind the ice and it finds away inside your house. See illustration below (Left). By installing additional Ice & Watershield on the Eaves, Rakes, Valleys, Pipe Penetrations, and Chimney(s), we can prevent leaks from Ice damming as well as leaks from heavy rains. This can only be done at the time of your next re-roof as an optional upgrade.
The MasterBuilt Roofing Maintenance Plan keeps your roof looking brand new, watertight, and increases lifespan to match the shingle warranty.
Here is what you get with our annual maintenance plan.
Scope Of Work
- Perform a thorough inspection of your roof, fascia, gutters, chimney and roof-to-wall sections.
- Remove any leaves or other debris from the roof.
- Perform light maintenance on “nail pops” if found.
- Re-seal and paint all roof penetrations with special primer/paint.
- Repaint any roof-to-wall flashings with special primer paint.
- Re-seal valley sections.
- Take photos to upload into your private Client Portal account. You will have access to the property photos, warranties, contracts, maintenance records, and other documentation in your Client Portal.
You will receive a private link to your private Client Portal when you create your Roof Maintenance contract.
Note: This maintenance plan does not include replacing existing roof components or performing any repairs beyond the Scope Of Work listed above, since your warranty already covers everything else.
The most important way to prolong the life of your roof is to keep it clean from debris, re-seal and re-paint the flashings, re-seal the valley sections, and repair any nail pops!
Note: If your property is surrounded by trees, we recommend starting maintenance inspections on Year 1. They should begin no later than Year 5, when damage from the sun commonly requires attention. Our Client Portal will keep you notified when its time for your next maintenance inspection.
With a MasterBuilt Roof: (Residential or Multi-Family per building):
If you have:
– a Low Roof (a 6/12 pitch) – $150 annually plus $50 for each additional level.
– a Medium Roof (a 7/12 pitch to a 9/12 pitch) – $250 annually plus $100 for each additional level.
– a Steep Roof (a 10/12 pitch) or more – $350 annually plus $200 for each additional level.
Without a MasterBuilt Roof (Residential or Multi-Family per building):
If you have:
– Low Roof (a 6/12 pitch) – $350 annually plus $50 for each additional level.
– Medium Roof (a 7/12 pitch to a 9/12 pitch) – $450 annually plus $100 for each additional level.
– Steep Roof (a 10/12) pitch or more – $550 annually plus $200 for each additional level.